Our residential customers with regular service, will be provided with a 60 gallon green Portland Composts! roll cart for your yard debris and food scraps collection. Place your cart at the curb by 6:00 a.m. on collection day for weekly pick up.
For a complete list of acceptable items and guidelines, go to www.portlandcomposts.com.
- NOT accepted: Pet waste, plastic bags, "compostable" containers, treated wood, large branches more than 4 inches thick or 36 inches long, rocks, dirt, large amounts of liquids, grease or oil
- Acceptable food scraps: meats, poultry, seafood, bones, dairy, bread, fruits, vegetables, cheese, eggshells, rice, beans, pasta, coffee grounds, plate scrapings, paper napkins, paper towels, coffee filters, tea bags, pizza delivery boxes.
- Acceptable yard debris items: Grass, weeds, leaves, vines, small branches less than 4 inches thick & 36 inches long, pumpkins
- Weight limit for roll cart: 135 lbs. (The container may break when lifted if too heavy. Wet grass, pumpkins and fruit can be very heavy)
- Pack debris loosely so it falls easily from cart.
- Limbs must not poke above the lip of the cart since this can be very dangerous for drivers.
- Roll cart lid must close.
- Lid opening must face the street.
- Roll cart needs to be easily accessible from the street.
- Roll cart must be at least one foot away from (and not behind) any object, including cars, mailboxes, trees, telephone poles and garbage containers .
What to do with extra compost:
- Save it for your next collection day
- Take it to a compost facility or leaf depot.
- Set out an extra 32 gal. can, bag or bundle (for an additional fee of $3.75 each)
To set out extra you can use:
- Brown Kraft paper bag (maximum weight: 45 lbs.) No food scraps in paper bags please
- 32 gallon can labeled with a yard debris sticker (maximum weight: 55 lbs)
- Bundle tied with string or twine (maximum weight: 45 lbs.)